Saturday, May 24, 2008

Spouses and Finances

I was just reading a blog at My Money Blog about whether your spouse/partner can manage the family finances without you if you were to die and it got me to thinking. 

Is my husband capable of taking over the finances (not to mention all the other things I do)?  Seamlessly?  Probably not.  Overall though I think he would manage once he got into the swing of it.

I mean he did take care of all his own finances before we were married.  He managed to save a bunch of money to move to the U.S. and go to college all on his own.  It wasn't like he was right out of high school or college when we first met.  He was 34 when we met and got married over 11 years ago so he was well versed in paying bills, saving money, etc.

On the other hand, though he has access to the finances any time he wants to look at them, and I'll tell him whatever he wants to know about them whenever he wants to know, he still doesn't seem to care much about the finances and leaves it all to me.  

Realistically, it will take some time for him to go through everything even though it's all in one place.  So I wonder about creating a financial will as mentioned at My Money Blog so my husband will have a list to direct him to where he should look for our financial information.

I should probably start a financial to do list and put this on it!

No comments: