Sunday, May 4, 2008

IRA Rollover

I'm thinking about rolling over my 401K and Pension from my former job.  I worked there for 8 years, contributed for over 5 years and so I'm fully vested in both accounts.  I left my job to stay home with my boys and go back to school in August 2004.  I kept them with the current plan because they were doing well, but I can no longer contribute anything to them so I've pretty much given up saving for my own retirement during the time period I've been out of work.  I currently have about $30,500 in the plans together and they have been going up since I've been a SAHM.

I'm trying to decide whether to go with Vanguard, who has IRA's that change with your retirement date automatically, or with Fidelity, who happens to already be servicing the current plans.  

I wish there was an IRA I could have set up as a joint account with my husband and we could both rollover our old 401Ks into one account.  That would be so much easier to take care of.  But I suppose one each would be good, too.  Plus he would also have his 401K with his current employer.

EDIT: After doing some research I am now thinking about either Vanguard's Target Retirement funds or T. Rowe Price's SmartChoice Rollover IRA funds.  Both have low fees and can be set by your retirement date.

No comments: