Monday, July 7, 2008

Moneydance

Today I've been trying out the demo version of Moneydance on my Mac.  Switching everything over from my laptop PC to my iMac has been a goal of mine and finding a good personal finance software has been my biggest obstacle (hmmm....do I have that on my 101 personal finance...I'll need to check).

I used to use MS Money, but got tired of trying to figure it out.  It just wouldn't do what I wanted it to do though I did use it for quite some time.

Then I switched to Quicken and though I still have problems it is a program I really like on my PC.  So why do I want to switch?  Because I don't know how long my laptop will continue living and the last thing I want to lose is my finances.  It over heats constantly and the screen is starting to get funky colors at start up.  I think it'll live quite a bit longer, but I also don't want to take the chance with my money.  

I tried the Mac version of Quicken and basically it is horrible to put it nicely.  Everything is so nice on Mac that you'd think it would have been, too.  But obviously no one decided to consult with a Mac user before creating it.

The other money programs out there for Mac have had mixed reviews and I don't really want to spend as much as they cost to find out they are horrible, too.  

So I did a little search and found Moneydance.  It has it's problems, too, but they actually have a forum to talk about it, get answers, and get things fixed!  Yeah like you'd be able to do that with Microsoft or Intuit!  And it's only about $30 to buy the full version. (EDIT: it is $39.99 for the full version)

The other thing is that it seems a little on the simplistic side, but that can be a good thing.  Right now I'm still testing things out to see if it will work for me.  So I'll be entering things into two programs for a while.

I'll let you know how it works out for me.  I'm crossing my fingers that it works so I don't have to keep on looking for another program.

No comments: